Published: 07-06-2011 photo #13028 1 comments 0 votes
Category:Military - Historic   Manufacturer:Armstrong Whitworth   Country:United Kingdom   Year:2011 Group:Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, England, United Kingdom   Contributor:Peter Langsdale
Photographed at YAM, Elvington, on 20 May 2011.
Built by Armstrong Whitworth at Baginton in 1954 and first served with 152 Sqn at RAF Wattisham that year (and in whose colours it is displayed). Converted to NF(T).14 standard WS788 served with the No.1 Air Navigation School at Thorney Island and later at No.2 School at Stradishall where it was damaged in an accident. In January 1966 it was allocated for ground instructional use only. In September 1969 WS788 was moved to Patrington Radar Station on Spurn Head as a static display aircraft. When Patrington closed it was moved to RAF Leeming as the Gate Guardian, being finally moved to Elvington in 1991.
2 x Rolls-Royce Derwent engines.