Published: 09-08-2015 photo #22157 2 comments 0 votes
Photographed at Duxford on 9 April 2015, this was one of the last Mustangs constructed at North American Aviation’s Dallas, Texas, plant. There is photographic evidence, from September 1951, of her serving with the 45th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron at Kimpo, South Korea, during the Korean War. She then served with the Air National Guard until around 1956.
In January 1999 she resurfaced in North Dakota as a restoration project. The airframe joined The Fighter Collection fleet the following year and was moved to Chino, California for a full restoration with the decision made to modify her to two-seat TF-51D configuration. The subsequent first flight took place in May 2007, after which this Mustang was painted in the 55th Fighter Group scheme of Capt Frank Birtciel’s P-51D 44-14561, Miss Velma. Following the successful completion of her flight testing, Miss Velma was fitted with external drop tanks and flew across the Atlantic to the UK, where she arrived at Duxford on the 4th July 2007.