Published: 31-03-2018 photo #23048 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed at the RAF Museum, Cosford, Shifnal, Shropshire on 4 March 2018. This aircraft was initially registered to Alex Henshaw on 30 May 1933, with its Certificate of Airworthiness dated 23 June that year.
Alex used it to win the Siddeley Trophy at Hatfield, at an average speed of 127.78 mph over the 830.8 mile course on 8 July 1933. He sold G-ACGL on 7 March 1934 and it passed through several owners until its CoA lapsed on 22 March 1940.
The fuselage was reportedly scrapped around 1942, but on 15 February 2010 the wings and other parts were taken to Skysport Engineering Ltd. at Hatch, Bedfordshire for restoration under contract, needing a new fuselage to be built and some original cockpit parts included.
The restoration was completed by 14 October 2011, and it went by road 3 days later to the RAFM Cosford for display, as seen here.
Altogether 41 Swifts were delivered between 1929 and 1934, of which 7 survive, 3 of them in the UK.