Published: 08-04-2018 photo #23052 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed at the RAF Museum, Cosford, Shifnal, Shropshire on 4 March 2018. The A-8 was a fighter-bomber version of the FW190, built in 1944 and 1945. This was one of at least four Mistel piggy-back fighters surrendered at Tirstrup, Denmark, and had been the partner of a Junkers Ju88. These composite pairs of aircraft had been assigned, if only theoretically, to IV/KG200.
The combination flew with a German pilot and RAF fighter escorts from Tirstrup to Schleswig along with two other combinations, AM76 and AM77, on 30 July 1945. This aircraft was separated from its Ju88 for ferrying to the UK via Amsterdam/Schipol to RAE Farnborough on 11 November 1945. Immediately before this date there had been an exhibition of German aircraft at the RAE.
The FW190 went into storage at 6 MU Brize Norton, Oxfordshire on 30 November along with other Air Historical Branch (AHB) German aircraft. A year later, on 18 September 1946 AM75 was allocated to the RAF College Museum at RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire. It joined the Me 262 (also at Cosford), Heinkel He162A (129235 now at Duxford) and Messerschmitt Me163B (191660 now at Duxford).
By 1961, still marked AM75, it was at 71 MU Bicester, Oxfordshire, but in July that year went into storage at RAF Biggin Hill, Kent with other AHB aircraft. In 1967 it was allocated to the Imperial War Museum and went on display at South Lambeth in October 1967. In 1986 it moved to Duxford, where it was repainted and restored by the Aircraft Restoration Company between February and April 1989. From 29 June it went on suspended display at Lambeth.
On 31 August 1993 the aircraft was allotted RAF Maintenance serial 9211M., and on 3 August 1998 its title was transferred to the RAF Museum by the MOD. On 20 December 2012 it went by road to Cosford for initial storage, and then on 7 October 2013 emerged for public display in the Warplanes Hangar, as seen here.