Published: 06-06-2009 photo #8808 2 comments 0 votes
Photographed at Newark Air Museum on 23 June 2007.
This is all that remains of the second Ashton with the longer pressurised working section, formerly Tudor 2 G-AJJW/TS897. It first flew at Woodford on August 2, 1951, piloted by Avro's ex-Eagle Squadron test pilot J.C. Nelson.
It was displayed at the 1951 Farnborough SBAC Show, and after company trials was handed over to the RAE at Farnborough for a 3 year series of test programmes associated with temperature control, cabin pressurisation, instrumentation and air conditioning at high altitudes. In 1954 it went to Napiers at Luton for conversion as an engine test bed and in a ventral pod tested such engines as the Rolls-Royce Avon RA28, Conway 505 and Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire ASSa 7. Test flying ceased in 1960 and the aircraft was broken up at Farnborough in 1962. After periods at Dunsfold, Rhoose and Woodford the fuselage has now ended up at Newark, as shown here.